It’s been a busy year at The Batavia Daily News.
Our website as of Thursday hit 20,123,991 page views, out of which 13,873,368 were unique. We put together a list of the most read articles on our website from 2017 — the top 17 of ‘17.
1. Mother: Human trafficking task force investigating disappearance of former Pembroke woman in Miami
Feb. 10 — The mother of Alexis Say — the Pembroke native last seen in the waiting room of a Miami hospital Jan. 23 — said Florida’s Attorney General’s Office and the state’s Human Trafficking Task Force have contacted her about the disappearance.
2. American Pickers coming to Western New York
Aug. 12 — The popular History Channel television program “American Pickers” came back to New York in September. They asked for people to come forward if they have unique antique collections and interesting stories behind them.
3. Two killed in Elba crash
Dec. 10 — Two people were killed in a crash involving a Honda Civic and a tractor-trailer hauling potatoes on Dec. 9.
4. Attica grad killed in crash
Dec. 11 — Alex M. Dedoszak, 20, was killed after his car collided with another car on Perry Road on Dec. 10.
5. Wondering when your power will be back? Check this list
March 9 — A list of communities in the GLOW region with outages and when they can expect the power to be returned during the March windstorm.
6. Union officials: Attica Correctional Facility on lockdown
Jan. 10 — Attica Correctional Facility has been in a lockdown since Jan. 8, following multiple fights among inmates, according to union officials.
7. Lyndonville woman found shot dead in Brockport
Aug. 26 — Megan Dix, 33, of Lyndonville was found shot to death in her pickup truck on Aug. 25.
8. Holley woman identified as victim in fatal crash
Jan. 23 — Rebekah M. Hoak was killed after she failed to yield at Route 18 and collided with a car driven by Richard E. Millard Jr., 56, of Kendall on Jan. 22.
9. Train derails in Batavia amid high winds
March 8 — An eastbound CSX train carrying heavy-duty containers stacked two-high through Genesee County did not make it successfully through the intense winds that swept through the region. It derailed just south of the city’s Wastewater Treatment Plant at around 1:15 p.m.
10. Harrowing scene described by victims of home invasion
March 30 — It was 2:30 in the morning last Thursday and the couple were just going to bed when they heard a noise coming from the front door of their apartment on Swan Street. What followed was a harrowing few minutes. The scene ended with a police officer burst into the room, gun drawn.
11. Attica and Alexander schools on lockdown as police search for escapee
Dec. 1 — A former Varysburg man found sleeping in an abandoned church escaped from police custody on Dec. 1, prompting a massive manhunt and forcing Attica and Alexander central schools to be put on lockdown.
12. Woman charged with rape, stalking in separate investigations
Feb. 26 — Cassy Drury, 23, was been arrested and charged with statutory rape involving a boy under 17 and, in a separate investigation, with stalking for repeatedly harassing a person, including leaving underwear on the victim’s door, Le Roy Police said.
13. Teacher and wife of Batavia native killed in hit-and-run
Dec. 2 — Jill Skivington Jackett, 38, a popular teacher and cross-country coach at Wheatland-Chili High School was killed in a hit-and-run while jogging on Nov. 30 was the wife of a Batavia native.
14. A letter to the owner of a Town and Country minivan license D**2440
Dec. 9 — An open letter to the parents of the young woman driving their Chrysler Town and Country minivan: “Take her phone away. Take the keys. Ban her from driving.”
15. Couple arrested after three overdoses at house, including one fatal
Sept. 13 — An investigation into three overdoses, including one fatal overdose, has led to charges against a Wyoming Road couple — Donald F. Reinhart, 38, and Amanda S. Reinhart, 34.
16. Castile Diner owner charged with arson
Feb. 23 — The operator of a diner that was destroyed by fire the previous week was charged with arson.
17. Teens injured in crash with firefighter
Feb. 4 — Two teenagers were injured, one seriously, when their car collided with a pickup truck that was responding to a crash in South Byron on Feb. 3.
The “fork” ratings are based primarily on food quality and preparation, with service and atmosphere factored into the final decision. Reviews are based on one unsolicited, unannounced visit to the restaurant.