The Sioux Center Police Dept. say a Christian school teacher has now been charged with 140 counts of inappropriate conduct with numerous students.
According to Chief Paul Adkins, 35-year-old Curtis Van Dam was charged as follows:
– 14 counts of sexual exploitation by a teacher
– 72 counts of second degree sexual abuse
– 12 counts of third degree sexual abuse
– 2 counts of lascivious acts with a child
– 1 count of lascivious acts with a child
– 34 counts of lascivious conduct with a minor
– 5 counts of indecent exposure
Police said the allegations stem from incidents beginning in August 2013 through October 2017 with students in various locations, including Sioux Center Christian School. Allegations were first brought to attention of police on October 18.
Van Dam was a fifth grade teacher at the school. He was fired from his job following his initial arrest last month. Police first charged Van Dam with two counts of inappropriate acts with a child at Sioux Center Christian School.
Additional charges are possible as the investigation continues, police said.
Van Dam was arrested and taken to the Sioux County Jail.